Skip to main content

Terms & Conditions (Normal)

Every student, employee, and eligible affiliate at UC Berkeley is issued a Cal 1 Card for access to key campus services and benefits. 

Proper Usage and Care

To ensure durability of the card, please do not:

  • use the card in any fashion which may cause damage
  • punch a hole(s) in the card as this will likely damage the internal components which are needed for building access and other capabilities
  • place the card on a phone charging station, stereo equipment, computers, or near any magnetic fields
  • carry the card loose in your pocket without a protective covering

Using Your Card

  • Your Cal 1 Card is non transferable. 
  • You are responsible for purchases made and debited to your account. 
  • In order to prevent unauthorized use of the Cal 1 Card, additional identification may be required from any person attempting to make a purchase using an account. 
  • There is no daily limit on the number or total amount of purchases made at attended point-of-sale, but to protect against possible misuse of your Cal 1 Card for purchases made at unattended point-of-sale, there is a $20 daily limit. 
  • Receipts will be available for goods or services purchased with Cal 1 Card at attended point-of-sale locations and for deposits made in-person. 
  • Merchandise purchased using the Cal 1 Card debit account will be accepted for return according to the policy of the vendor where the goods or services were purchased.

Inactive Accounts & Positive Balances

  • Positive Cal 1 Card debit account balances will carry forward to the next academic term.
  • When there are no Cal 1 Card debit transactions for 5 months or longer, positive debit balances may be inactivated.  
  • Inactivated balances may be reactivated either by making an additional deposit or submitting a reactivation request via an email to  
  • Positive balances on Cal 1 Card debit accounts that do not have any transactions for more than 1 year may revert to the University.


  • Requests for debit account refunds must be submitted by emailing: 
  • A $10 processing fee will be assessed on all approved refund requests.
  • Debit accounts may be closed and a refund of the unused balance may be requested as follows:
    • For students, refund requests will only be processed after the account holder GRADUATES, FORMALLY WITHDRAWS, or is otherwise NO LONGER REGISTERED in the CURRENT or FORTHCOMING term as defined by the Office of the Registrar.
    • For employees, refund requests will only be processed after the account holder is no longer on payroll status with the University as defined by Human Resources.
    • For affiliates, refund requests will only be processed after the account holder is no longer formally affiliated with the University as defined by Human Resources.
  • After the refund request is approved, the funds will be disbursed to the cardholder within 45 days.  
    • For students, the funds will first be used to pay any outstanding charges on the student billing account; if a credit balance remains once all outstanding charges have been paid, a refund in that amount will be disbursed by student billing and payment services.
    • Student refunds are disbursed via pre-authorized direct deposit to a bank account or by check as determined by student billing and payment services.
    • For employees or affiliates, a refund check will be mailed to the address provided in the request for refund.  
  • If an account holder with a positive balance fails to request a refund in a timely manner after no longer being a registered student or active employee/affiliate, the Cal 1 Card office will initiate the refund process on the corresponding account holders behalf per the applicable refund process.

Errors with Your Account

Account activity can be viewed on the web at

  • No statements will be produced or mailed to you. However you do have forty-five (45) business days to inquire or challenge a transaction that appears in your account. 
  • The Cal 1 Card Office recommends that you use the online access to check your account at least on a monthly basis to review the transactions that appear there.
  • Transaction receipts will include an account balance and we recommend that you check them and inform the Cal 1 Card Office immediately if you see an error.
  • If you believe there has been an error in connection with your account, you must e-mail or write the Cal 1 Card office, 212 Sproul Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-2264, as soon as possible. 
  • The Office must hear from you no later than forty-five (45) business days after the transaction date. Such notification must include:
    • Name and Cal 1 Card number
    • Date, name of vendor and dollar amount of the suspected error
    • Description(s) of the error or the transfer(s) being questioned
    • Explanation of items believed to be in error or why more information is requested.
  • If it is determined that your dispute pertains to your Meal Plan and not your Cal 1 Card Debit account, your dispute will be forwarded to the proper Dining Services representative(s) for review.
  • You will receive a response with the results of the investigation within (10) business days after your inquiry is received by our office and any errors will be promptly corrected. If more time is required, the Cal 1 Card Office may take up to forty-five (45) business days to investigate the complaint or question.
  • If it is determined that there was no error, the Cal 1 Card Office will send a written explanation within three (3) business days after the conclusion of its investigation. You may ask for copies of the documents used in the investigation.
  • If funds have been deposited into your Cal 1 Card Debit Account in error and have not begun to be used, the transaction may be considered for reversal. 
  • If a Patron has begun to utilize the funds deposited in error, the transaction is not eligible for reversal. You will receive a response with the results of the error inquiry within (10) business days.

Stolen, Lost & Found Cards

  • Cardholders are solely responsible for immediately reporting and deactivating a lost or stolen Cal 1 Card. The most effective way of deactivating the card is to do so online by logging into the Cal 1 Card account; this option is available 24 hours every day of the week. 
  • If you do not have access to the internet when your card is lost or stolen, reports can be made in person at the Cal 1 Card Office or by calling 1-866-2UCBCARD (1-866-282-22278).
  • To deactivate card key access to campus facilities, please report the lost/stolen card immediately to the corresponding card key access control administrator/building manager.
  • Once action has been taken to report /deactivate a lost or stolen Cal 1 Card, cardholders assume no further liability for unauthorized activity on or use of the lost Cal 1 Card.
  • All lost card accounts will be reviewed and the account credited for unauthorized activity that occurs after you report the card lost or stolen. 
  • The replacement fee for a Cal 1 Card will be charged in accordance with current fee schedules on file at the Cal 1 Card Office.
  • Lost Cal 1 Card IDs should be returned to the Cal 1 Card office, UCPD, or placed in a USPS Mailbox.

Change of Name

  • Cal 1 Card IDs will be replaced free of charge for patrons that have changed their name. The name change must be processed in the authoritative data source (i.e. Campus Solutions or UC Path).
  • Students with a legal name change MUST file a “Petition of Name Change” form with the Office of the Registrar. The form is available online or in person at 120 Sproul Hall. Please allow five business days to pass after filing the petition before coming to the Cal 1 Card Office to obtain a replacement card.
  • Employees and Affiliates must contact their departmental and/or HR representatives to request a name change. Please allow 2 business days to pass after the name has been changed before coming to the Cal 1 Card Office to obtain a replacement ID card free of charge.

Absences & Withdrawal

  • In the event of a prolonged absence and/or formal withdrawal, Cal 1 Card IDs issued to students MUST be retained for NO LESS THAN 3 years from last attendance at the University.
  • If a student is re-instated WITHIN this 3 year period, the previously issued Cal 1 Card ID remains valid.
  • If a student is re-instated WITHIN this 3 year period and the previously issued Cal 1 Card ID was NOT retained, the current replacement fee will be assessed. If a student is re-instated AFTER this 3 year period, a replacement ID will be issued free of charge.

Digitally Stored Images

Cardholders may download their own digitally stored images by logging onto the online photo submission portal (

Modifications of Terms & Conditions

The University may modify these terms and conditions at its sole discretion.

California Law

California Law governs these terms and conditions.