- What is the Cal 1 Card debit account?
The Cal 1 Card debit account is an added feature of the Cal 1 Card. By purchasing stored value credit on your Cal 1 Card debit account, you are able to pay for goods and services at these participating merchant locations.
Cal 1 Card debit funds may also be used to purchase meals in the dining hall commons; however, the price per meal will be higher than you would pay if you were to purchase a meal plan.
- Why should I use the Cal 1 Card if I already have a debit card?
The Cal 1 Card has several advantages around campus. First, some Cal Dining locations and other merchants don't accept debit or credit cards as a payment method – but they do take the Cal 1 Card. Second, some merchants charge an extra fee for debit or credit use, but not for the Cal 1 Card. Finally, there are no account fees or minimum balances associated with the Cal 1 Card debit account, making it very flexible for a student's needs.
- Who is eligible?
All eligible cardholders that have been issued a Cal 1 Card.
- How do I open a Cal 1 Card debit account?
All cardholders automatically have access to a Cal 1 Card debit account. Cal 1 Card debit funds should be available withnin 10 minutes for use as a payment method at participating merchant locations making a deposit into your Cal 1 Card debit account. Each deposit constitutes acceptance of the corresponding Debit Account Terms and Conditions.
- How do I deposit funds into my Cal 1 Card debit account?
Deposit funds into your Cal 1 Card debit account:
- Online - Students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and their families or sponsors can visit our web site to make secure deposits to the Cal 1 Card debit account using a credit card. There is no transaction fee for the deposit.
- In person - Visit the Housing Cashier's Office, make your deposits with checks, credit cards and/or cash.
- Where can I use my Cal 1 Card debit account?
Please visit our Where to Use section for a complete list of participating locations.
- Do I pay a transaction fee each time I use my Cal 1 Card debit account?
No. There are no transaction fees charged for usage of your Cal 1 Card debit account.
- Will I need my Passphrase to deposit funds and view activities on my account?
All eligible cardholders will be able to deposit funds, view transactions, and remaining balance information by using their CalNet ID and passphrase to log into their Cal 1 Card account. Others desiring to make a deposit onto a debit account will be able to do so by selecting "Deposit money into someone else’s debit account" and entering the cardholders name as it appears on their Cal 1 Card as well as their ID number.
- How do I check my Cal 1 Card debit account balance?
You can check your balance online by logging into your account. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org with additional inquiries.
- How much money should I add?
It's up to you and your personal spending habits. Do you use your debit account to pay for food at our participating partner locations? To buy books? Consider these expenses when adding money to your debit account. Remember, you can always add more money any time you need to through our website!
- What happens to money in my account at the end of each semester?
Your Cal 1 Card debit account remains open and funds carry over to the next semester.
- Is this account the same as my campus student billing account?
No. Your Cal 1 Card debit account is a separate account that is not linked to your student billing account.
- Can I withdraw money from my Cal 1 Card debit account?
No. Cash withdrawals are not permitted from your Cal 1 Card debit account.
- What happens to my account when I leave the University?
Requests for debit account refunds must be submitted by emailing email@example.com. A $10 processing fee will be assessed on all approved refund requests.
Students must have graduated or withdrawn in order to be eligible for a refund. If eligible, the funds will be credited to the corresponding campus student billing account within 30 days. If there are any outstanding charges on the corresponding campus student billing account, the funds will be used to pay said charges. If a credit balance remains after all charges (if any) are paid, student billing and payment services staff will issue a refund of the remaining balance. Student refunds are disbursed via pre-authorized direct deposit to a bank account or by check mailed to the local address.
Employees and affiliates must no longer have an active appointment in the UCPath system to be eligible for a refund. If eligible, the funds will either be credited back to the banking account that was used to make the deposit or by check mailed to the local address.
- What happens if my Cal 1 Card is lost or stolen?
You are responsible for immediately reporting or deactivating a lost or stolen Cal 1 Card. Please make sure to deactivate the card online as soon as possible by logging into your account. If you are unable to deactivate the card online, you can also report the card lost or stolen by calling 1 (866) 2UCBCARD. Once a card is deactivated or reported lost / stolen, you will assume no further liability. All lost card accounts will be reviewed and the account credited for unauthorized activity that occurs after a card is deactivated or reported lost or stolen.