ATTENTION: The Cal 1 Card program has instituted a self-imposed and temporary moratorium on establishing new Off-Campus Merchant partnerships. The moratorium was instituted while we work to improve various fundamental aspects of the Off-Campus Merchant platform so that expansion is feasible, effective, and sustainable. If you are interested in establishing a partnership, please send your contact information via email to email@example.com and we will let you know once the moratorium is lifted and we are able to proceed.
Thank you for your interest in the Cal 1 Card, the University of California Berkeley's debit card program. Under the program, anyone with a university ID card (the Cal 1 Card) is able to purchase goods and services at participating stores. Funds are deposited into an account and students, staff and faculty just present their card to the merchant. Funds are deducted using the VeriFone Tranz-330 credit card reader, which is connected to our system.
In order to participate in the program, the merchant must take the following steps:
- Complete the Merchant Application and be approved for participation by the Cal 1 Card Steering Committee. The sale of alcohol is prohibited with the Cal 1 Card and businesses whose primary purpose is the sale of alcohol or drug paraphernalia will not be approved. Also, please note that the Merchant Agreement prohibits marking up products purchased with the Cal 1 Card.
Mail completed Merchant Application to:
Attn: Jorge Martinez
212 Sproul Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
- Agree to the terms set forth in the Sample Agreement.
- Lease a VeriFone Tranz-330 credit card reader and printer from the Cal 1 Card Office for a one-time fee of $140.
- Pay an annual membership fee of $250 (membership and lease fee must be paid before the scheduling of the set up of the reader) and a monthly support fee.
- Set up VeriFone reader to accept the Cal 1 Card transactions (done by the Cal 1 Card office staff).
In exchange for the services provided by the Cal 1 Card Office (including operation of the card program, account management, advertising, marketing, etc.) the merchant must agree to pay a service charge on the Cal 1 Card sales to the Cal 1 Card Office. The service charge is set based on the merchant’s affiliation to UC Berkeley. The Cal 1 Card Office provides payment to the merchant on a monthly basis.
Once your signed agreement and payment are received, a Cal 1 Card office team member will contact you to schedule the installation of the reader and printer. To allow time for processing and equipment setup, new merchants will be able to start accepting the Cal 1 Card as a form of payment starting on the 1st day of the following month in which the contract has been signed.
Please contact Jorge Martinez with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org, 510.642.7314.